Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Time to Get Moving

I’ll be the first to admit that I know nothing about interior decorating or design.

Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Left to my own devices, I’d be content to live in an underground box as long as it had cable and broadband. I really am a disgrace to My People.

Since I’ll be in a new apartment by the end of this month, I decided that it was finally time to live in a dwelling consistent with someone in my demographic. Things are moving along nicely.

Two friends of mine who know everything there is to know about interior design graciously spent three hours at my new apartment yesterday. It was a blank slate for them and they easily took the situation in hand.

Subsequently, seven gallons of paint in four different colors will be arriving on Saturday – colors with names like “Van Deusen Blue” and “Hazelnut Cream” and "Burlap".

My idea of decorating seems to be stuck in the 1980s according to Speck. She had quite a laugh when I told her that I wanted to paint a wall apricot and install track lighting. Apparently, that’s just not done anymore.

Of course, I also know absolutely nothing about what to do with the paint. So, in accordance with my demographic, I’ve hired a painter to do all that. I refer to this hired hand as “My Boy” even though he’s in his early 30s. M.B. will be spending most of Sunday afternoon painting walls and trim according to the specifications laid out by my designer friends.

Then, I get to move. Since I’ll be moving from the 49th floor of one tower to the 50th floor of the other tower, this move will either be done with careless ease or it will require sedatives.

At least I won’t be in a hurry – I’ve got until the end of the month to get it all done. Right now, it’s pretty neat to have two residences going on. More than likely, I will resemble a sloth slowly ambling from one tree to another.

Here is my new kitchen as it is right now – complete with its original 1964 yellow metal cabinets. By next week, the kitchen walls will be festooned with creamy hazlenuts and the section above the counter will be Van Deusen Blue. There’s no way I’d get rid of those yellow cabinets.

I just love the original stove that’s there. Yellow, with push-button controls just like the one I cooked on when I was seven years old.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:05 PM , Blogger Speck said...

"Just Say No" to white can track lighting! LOL!

Holy cow, I thought my kitchen was tiny. Yours is miniscule.

The new digs will be fabulous with color. Kudos to Two Designer Guys.

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Hmm, your idea of decorating AND OF DOING MY HAIR are both stuck in the 1980s! :)

(Or is that the 1970's? *LOL*)

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Speck said...

Miss HP - Bwahahahaha! Ouch! That comment's gonna leave a mark!

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Is the kitchen bigger than the one you currently have? It's laid out differently. (I keep picturing the new place as the old place, just with different paint).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home