Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm Excited

I just read where tickets to see that Hanna Montana girl sold out in eight minutes. And tickets were selling for $2,600 on eBay to see her.

Imagine that. Some rich, spoiled 13-year-old brat just had to see Hanna Montana and her parents shelled out twenty-six hundred bucks for it. (I’m sure that would never happen with Lorraine and The Child).

Anyway, I’m excited because I just spent 26 bucks for tickets to see MY favorite performer, Stephen Lynch. He’ll be in Chicago on November 8 and 9.

Who’s Stephen Lynch, you ask?

Stephen Lynch is a musician/comedian who writes and performs THE most creative, outrageous and funniest songs I’ve ever heard. He’s got this sweet, tenor voice like a folk singer which works really well with his songs. Most of them begin with an innocent theme, you get lulled in by it, and then, boom, it segues into the most hilarious, outrageous material you’ve ever heard.

Here’s an example of his song called “Lullaby.”

Hush, little girl, sweet baby don’t cry
Tonight, Daddy’s here and he’ll sing you a soft lullaby
Why can’t it all be like it was before?
How can I explain why Mommy’s not here anymore?

Cause Daddy plays poker and drinks lots of beer
Then he wants sex that involves Mommy’s rear
Daddy has sores on his naughty parts oozing with pus
I think that’s why your Mommy left us. . .

While those lyrics might be a bit much for some (and these are mild compared to some of his other stuff), I really am in awe of his creativity.

I've also performed some of his tunes at a couple of clubs here in Chicago. I had a ball doing it, too.

When God asks me what I've done with my talent, I can point to singing Gregorian chant in a monastery to singing Stephen Lynch at piano bars. And I can point to just about everything else in between and say, "See? How about that!"
You can't say I haven't had some variety in my life. Life's too short not to.

So, I’m looking forward to seeing Mr. Lynch next month. Probably not as much as that 13 year-old brat who’ll be seeing Hanna Montana, but it’s been a VERY long time since I’ve looked forward to a concert. Plus, I'll be going with my lovely friend, Marilyn, who also appreciates Stephen Lynch like I do. It'll be a great evening.

And I’m sure Hannah Montana will lip-synch the entire performance.

And at twenty-six hundred bucks a pop.
There oughtta be a law. . .

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:23 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Hannah Montana audience:

98% screeching teenage girls

2% Perv dads of teenage girls who mysteriously volunteered to chaparone

 
At 10:12 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

All right, you two. Miley Cyrus can really sing and she's got some fairly considerable talent, considering her age. And she wears panties. So far, she's a good role model. Her parents make her do chores. The Child likes her and so do I.

It's not her fault that there's no control on who gets tickets and what they do with them.

That said, I have no intention of paying $2600 to hear her. I wouldn't pay that if there was a concert with U2, REM, the Police and Springsteen. Unless they were going to perform in my living room.

Besides, we've already seen her in concert.

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger sfoofie said...

yes yes yes! i love stephen lynch. my favorite one is "beelz". have fun at his show.
- iwanski niece

 
At 12:10 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lor: Sorry about the Miley Cyrus jab. I know nothing about her actually. But since she wears panties and does chores, then she's okay in my book.

Sfoofie: Hey! Do you have a blog now? I'll write all abou the Stephen Lynch performance. A lot.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger sfoofie said...

yeah. i started a blogspot blog. i had one on xanga, but i guess i would like a grown-up blog now. yes, please post on the stephen lynch concert, but i like your other entries too. now i know you were in the seminary once and all other sorts of interesting things like that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home