Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I petted a sloth today

Now, there's a title you won't see on the blogs every day.

But yes, today I did pet a sloth.

I was attending a job/social service fair for people with disabilities where my agency had a booth. This job fair was a Navy Pier in one of the huge festival halls and just about every agency/service provider in the city was there. It was a huge event.

Of course, there are always entertaining things for the little ones to do. There was rock climbing, play-like fishing, and a petting zoo.

I abandoned our booth for a while and made a bee-line for the petting zoo, brushing the little kids aside.

This was no ordinary petting zoo, either! It went way beyond your usual little lambs, pygmy goats, and puppies.

There were pot-bellied pigs, a couple of ferrets, a hedgehog and a sloth!
Yes!
A real-live sloth. I got to pet it!
And this wasn't your inferior two-toed sloth. No siree, this was the three-toed variety.
There was also an owl, but he wasn't available for petting.

But the sloth was amazing. Gosh, what a weird creature.
After a while, I noticed he was a bit smelly. You know, that weird sloth smell. I bid him farewell and returned my attention to the hedgehog.

Speaking of pot-bellied pigs, a friend of mine back in Dallas used to have one. His name was . . . are you ready for this? . . . Hamlet. (Hamlet's parents were Otis and Sophie). They're pretty amazing little animals. If you're eating a banana, just toss the peel on the floor. . . Gone. Hamlet would get a shower every morning too. After Bob got through with his shower, Hamlet would get one too. He loved it. He'd bite at the stream of water.

Animals are cool.
Now I want a hedgehog.

4 Comments:

At 10:51 AM , Blogger Red Seven said...

A friend of mine had a pot-bellied pig as a pet at one point, and was very disturbed to learn that her very favorite food was ... bacon.

Yeep.

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

"Smelly sloth, smelly sloth, what are they feeding you"...

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Eric: Sow-cannibalism IS very disturbing.

Lorrain: So funny!!! That's one of my favorite songs!

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

I would like to pet "Sloth" from Goonies.
Then I'd have a story to tell too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home