Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Urban Chickens -- It's the newest craze!


I saw this article today on how to keep chickens in the city and I was immediately intrigued.

It seems you can order this whole kit for raising chickens in the city! You get this cool little designer chicken coop that has an "eggloo" on one end where your hens can lay eggs and incubate them. It comes with everything you need: The coop, the eggloo, a 50-lb. bag of chicken feed and instructions for raising the hens.

Two weeks after your coop and eggloo is delivered, you get four egg-laying baby hens. No rooster available. This is an urban chicken deal and roosters, as you probably know, are too noisy. Besides, hens apparently don't require male companionship to produce eggs anyway.

Come winter time, you can either buy an additional coop heater or just "harvest" the hens.

Oh, stop it! Where the hell do you think your chicken fajitas come from!

Well, now that I have a farm on my 49-story balcony (two tomato plants and herbs) I thought how cool it would be to expand the farm into a barnyard!

The coop is only nine feet long and my balcony is 20 feet wide -- plenty of room for an urban chicken project! Wouldn't my neighbors above and below me just love the sounds of four chickens clucking away?

I'm sure there's a city ordinance that prohibits barnyard animals from being raised in the city. But I wouldn't be raising them in the city. I'd be raising them above the city.

And come October when it's time to "harvest" the chickens, can't you just see the feathers flying from 50 stories up?


Click Here for an Urban Chicken coop.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:27 AM , Blogger Red Seven said...

How deliciously WEIRD.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

The Neighbor and I are going in on some chickens from that very company. And then we're going to get pygmy goats, little tiny sheep and a pony. And we're going to dress up like Marie Antoinette and it's going to be so fun!

(The chicken part is for real).

 
At 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max would LOVE it!

Brad

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home