Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wednesday's Whinings -- The Martini

I almost forgot it was Wednesday. Monday as a holiday has thrown me off.
There seems to be a "martini" craze going on where anything-and-everything served in a martini glass is dubbed a "martini."
There are appletinis, margatinis, tropicaltinis, dirty martinis and "tinis" of every known liquor. There are even martini bars that sport every bastardization of this classic beverage that one can dream up.
Folks, a martini is four parts gin to one part dry vermouth with a green olive garnish. Maybe a lemon twist instead of the olive, but anything other than that is not a martini. That goes for the "vodka martini" as well.
Recently, I came across the worst example of this insanity I've ever seen. This club was advertising a "bourbon martini."
Bourbon and vermouth shaken with ice and served in a martini glass.
Duhh! That's a freaking Manhattan!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 4:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... I probably shouldn't do any more plugs for that Pickle-tini I invented, huh?

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Red Seven said...

I'm with you on the gin vs. vodka thing. However, when I go to a bar and order a martini, I typically am asked, "Vodka or gin?" -- IN THAT ORDER!

Personally, I like my martini sorta dry (not quite 20% vermouth) and a little bit dirty -- and it's still mostly gin and vermouth, so I still think it's a martini ... and I'm okay with a "cosmo" because we all call it a "cosmo" even tho' the full name is "Cosmopolitan Martini," which we all know it's NOT.

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I like my martinis with gin, very dry and 2 olives. Please note.

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh, and I prefer Bombay Sapphire . Just saying.

 
At 3:44 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine, I just replenished the liquor cabinet with Beefeater. Is that okay? There's also the Glenlivet in there for The Spouse.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home