Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Monetary Crisis

As I watched the president give his speech last night regarding the monetary crisis, a very keen insight came to me.

I thought, “Hey, I’ve got six ears of corn from the farmer’s market in the fridge that need to get used. I’m going to make a big pot of corn chowder.”

I also had four red bell peppers and some leeks, also from the farmer’s market.

I’m so glad that the president’s speech made me think of that. So very often, I buy all these healthy, organic veggies and they end up turning to goo in the vegetable bin.

So, I put a big pot of water on to cook the corn. This wasn’t any old corn, either. It was a special Japanese variety that is noted for its sweetness and the ears are huge. Meanwhile, I chopped the red peppers, the leeks and began sautéing them in oil in a Dutch oven.

In another pot, I brought a quart of chicken stock to boil (thanks to Knorr’s chicken bullion).

When the leeks and peppers were softened, I drained the corn and sliced it off the cobs. I added cumin, garlic and red pepper flakes to the onions along with some flour to make a roux.

I whisked in the chicken stock, added the corn, and some half-and-half.

By that time, the president and commentaries were over with. I had a big bowl of corn chowder while I watched Judge Judy that my Tivo had recorded for me. It was utterly delicious.

By the way, if Judge Judy ran for president, I would so totally vote for her.

3 Comments:

At 9:10 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

If Judge Judy were president, her speeches to the nation would just be her yelling at Americans for being stupid and lazy. :)

 
At 6:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT post on how much respect you have for the Prez! :-)

 
At 12:55 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I can't get behind the Judge Judy thing but I'd like a bowl of chowdah, please.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home