Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Smart Cards

Recently, I was heading into the subway station, whipped out my wallet where I keep my CTA smart-card, waved it across the panel, headed through the turnstile and . . . BAM!

The turnstile wouldn’t let me through.

So, I waved the card again, and still nothing.

It said my card was expired.

What??? I’ve had this card for about four years. It automatically charges my credit card and re-loads itself whenever it gets low on funds. But the thing said my card was expired.

Rats. I was a bit flummoxed because I’ve been so used to just waving the card across the panel and scooting right through. I even keep the card in just the right place in my wallet so that the panel can read it through the leather and I don't have to remove it.

I felt like I had been banned from the subway.

I had to go to one of the machines and use cash - - - like an animal! It was horrible.

I made a mental note to check it out when I got home.

And, of course, I forgot to do that. I realized that when, a few days later, I went BAM against the turnstile.

Dang!

I went online to update my information, thinking that the expiration date on my credit card had expired at some point.

A few days later I went BAM against the turnstile again.

So, I had to call CTA’s quick and efficient customer service line. You can imagine how long the ‘hold’ time was to a public transportation system. There were probably people using telegraphs ahead of me trying to reach a CTA representative.

Finally, I got through. Are you ready for this? It turns out that the smart-cards expire after four years. Prior to their expiration, CTA mails a form for you to fill out which I never got because I had moved three years ago.

So, now I’m waiting for my new smart-card.

And waiting for the bruises across my waist to heal.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, thanks for letting us know! I'll have to ask my hubby to make sure we're up-to-date on that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home