Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Kitchen

Here is a photo of my kitchen.




Yes, it's yellow.

I love to cook and I really love my kitchen.

Yes, it is tiny.

And, you're vision is not deceiving you;
It has yellow metal cabinets.

But I love my kitchen.

See that harvest gold Trimline phone hanging on the wall?

It’s 46 years old, has a rotary dial and it still works perfectly. Whenever my radar-operated, push-button, Vonage-phone-thing- dies, that old rotary Trimline is always there and ready to let me holler on a line when I need to.

Whenever I REALLY want to call Miss Healthypants, I know I can 'crank that number' when necessary.

Can't you just hear that dial?

It’s also connected to the doorman downstairs.

See those yellow metal cabinets?

Why would you ever need to replace them?

Yes, they’re ugly;
yes, they’re horrible;
but, my god, they are entertaining!

Every time I walk into that kitchen, I am struck with what “The Modern 60s” tried to do.

I love knowing that those designers failed so horribly to make kitchens colorful and functional back when I watched Mary Tyler Moore make a life for herself in Minneapolis on TV.

Every time I walk into my little kitchen, I'm reminded of that.

Whenever I prepare a meal in this screaming yellow kitchen, I connect with some obscure Scandinavian designer who has probably long since passed; perhaps it was some interior decorator from Mölndal who was a failure back in 1955.

My kitchen connects with them. I like knowing that!

The other thing I like about my kitchen is that it sits 49 floors above the Chicago River; five hundred feed above prime real estate.

My dinky apartment may be only 560 square feet (plus a 160 square foot circular balcony); However, I locked into a long-term lease four years ago.

The Trump Tower just opened up across the street with condos averaging $1,200 per square foot.. . . . That’s forty-rectillion Euros per square liter to foreign investors!

. . . I’d love to think what a sublet on this place would bring . . .

In the meantime, I’ll enjoy my little yellow kitchen.

I also like my living room. One whole wall is glass.

Here’s a happy snap of the view.

That’s my big honkin' foot at the end of the sofa.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:16 PM , Blogger Barb said...

How do you ever come in off that balcony. I think I'd live out there! Too wonderful.

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I love your kitchen. :)

 
At 12:58 AM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

the retro sites I hang out at would kill for those metal cabinets!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home