Friday, February 22, 2008

My Rubber Thingie


See that pink foam rubber thingie on my pen?

There’s a story behind that. Want to hear it?

Okay, I’ll tell you.

When I moved to Chicago seven years ago, I got a temp job while I was looking for a Real Job. The temp job was in the accounting department at a well-known agency here in Chicago.

My boss at the agency was this horrible, mean, evil, wicked woman.

I’m kidding. My boss was actually none other than Miss Healthypants. That’s how we met. Isn’t that sweet?

Anyway, she noticed that I liked to use these foam rubber thingies on my pen. I say that ‘she noticed it’ because one day, someone made off with my pen that had MY foam rubber thingie on it.

I lost it. I went ballistic. I HAVE to have my foam rubber thingie on my pen in order to write well. She probably thought I was some kind of nut.

Anyway, the next day, Miss Healthypants presented me with a packet of five foam rubber thingies and I was able to settle down.

So, the foam rubber thingie in this photo (which I just took) is the first one from the pack that Miss Healthypants gave me seven years ago. I have the other four at home.

Isn’t that something? I’ve managed to keep this one for seven years.

Epilogue: I worked as a temp in Miss Healthypant’s accounting department for only three months and then I got a Real Job managing a different department at the same company. We were able to become friends since she was no longer my boss.

I’ll admit that I’m not exactly the most adept person when it comes to detailed work like accounting. Miss Healthypants would come to me two years later and say, “Dude! I’m STILL finding mistakes from when you were in accounting!”

It’s nice to have my rubber thingie. And good friends like Miss Healthypants.

3 Comments:

At 4:36 PM , Blogger Speck said...

I *love* rubber thingies. I have them on my three critical writing instruments: one fine point black ink pen, one fine point red ink pen, and one fine point mechanical pencil. Folks who know me know they can use anything on my desk, but keepa youse hands offa the ones with the rubber thingies or I breaka youse legs.

 
At 6:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, ain’t you the sweetest? *grin*

Love you too, dooder!

Love,

Poodle :)

 
At 3:33 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Speck: It doesn't surprise me that you love the rubber thingies as well. HOWEVER, I am surprised that you prefer fine point pens. I can't do fine points. They're too scratchy. Remember that our handwriting is almost exactly the same? It really is. I love that.

Poodle - I love you more than I can stand.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home