Thursday, February 21, 2008

Forty Nine, dear.

My brother, who’s two years younger than I, emailed a birthday wish to me today. He commented on how old we’re getting (and that I’ll always be older).

Yes, I’m hanging onto my forties by the tiniest thread now. That’s okay. I’ve got a lot be happy about. I also realized two things about being 49 years old:

When my dad was the age I am now, I was 28 years old.
Wow.
My grandmother, Budgie, was 49 when I was born.
Double-wow.

Like I said, I don’t mind it. To be honest, several friends of mine back in the 80s and 90s never got the chance to be 49. So, although my youth is gone, I feel like I’m getting to do something that eleven friends of mine never got to do.

Even if my life ended right now, I doubt that anyone who knew me could say I haven’t lived a very full life; one that has been filled with a myriad of experiences.

I’ve been a musician, a banker, a restaurant manager, a monk, a friar, a substance abuse counselor, a writer and columnist, and now I supervise a statewide program that serves people with disabilities and get to travel the great expanses of Illinois every month.

I've also wanted to be a truck driver or a court reporter. I haven't done that yet.

Maybe someday I’ll decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Life has been tough at times. Sometimes, really tough. But I’ve always tried to grow from those experiences and, if anything, it’s caused me to look at life with a certain amount of humor. After all, what are the other options?

I have a good job, a nice place to live in a great city, the most wonderful friends one could hope for and Tivo. I'm single and that's perfectly fine. (Frankly, I can't imagine sharing my Tivo with anyone).

I've recently discovered that I love tomato juice.

I'd like to think I've gained a lot of wisdom along the way. I need to get to the gym and lose about 25 pounds.

Wouldn’t you know it?
I finally get my head together and my ass falls apart . . .

7 Comments:

At 11:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tivo ROCKS!! And so do you, dooder! Love you!!!!

Happy B-Day again!! :) John says Happy Birthday, too!

Love,

Poodle :)

 
At 11:28 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Yes, I do.

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

run a half marathon with me!!!!
It is so great that you are good with your place in life-- I have such a hard time with my age and the things I have missed out on, so im trying to catch up now, oh and ofcourse live vicariously through my kids and and my blog buddies!

Happy Birthday

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Crap! How did I miss this? Happy belated birthday, sweetie!

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Thanks, Poodle and Iwanski. You guys rock as well.

Mouse: Half a marathon??? Good for you! How about if I just cheer you on while sitting under an unbrella?

'Raine: Erma Bombeck and I have the same birthday. Just so you know.

 
At 6:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BucK, I have known you longer than anyone else and if I died right now, know I would die happy because you are.Ma

 
At 12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are 49....NO WAY....thought you were only early 40's. Murph's dad...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home