Thursday, November 08, 2007

Home

While traveling north on I-57, the sight of the Sears Tower silhouetted on the horizon sure was a welcoming one.

Then I hit traffic.
But that’s life in the big city.

And it felt soooo good to pull into the goofy parking garage in my goofy apartment building. And sleep in my own bed. And eat food that I cooked in my goofy apartment.

While visiting so many small towns across Illinois this past week, I can understand why so many people down there expressed their disdain for Chicago. I certainly don’t hold the same view, but I can understand it.

True, people are friendlier in the small towns. However, you don’t notice it until you go there. I’m never aware of that fact while I’m in Chicago, but that forgotten fact becomes apparent once I’m in a small town. Smiles seem to be more frequent and genuine. Wait staff are more relaxed. Life, in general, seems to be a good bit slower and easier.

But if these small-town folk want Ethiopian food, what are they to do? If they want to go to see a play where actors don’t wear any clothes, they’re out of luck. (Like I frequently do those things, but it’s there if I want to).

I’ve lived in both small towns and large cities. I’ll take the latter any day. Remember, I’m snooty now.

Here’s a photo of ONE of the Dollar Stores I saw in Mattoon yesterday. (I thought of Bunny Lynn)
Tomorrow, I visit one last site which is where City Mouse lives. We’ll be having lunch afterward. Yay. I’ll get a Mouse-fix.

No more staying in Super 8 Motels for a while.
Awwww. Actually, their shampoo is fantastic, but the walls are sooooo thin.

The other night, I heard a couple doing what couples do best in hotel rooms. The woman had this strange habit of saying “Hey” ever so often. Not yelling it, just saying it as a matter-of-fact:

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

Ten minutes later . . .

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

Bump-bump-bump.
Bump-bump-bump.

“Hey”

God, some people are weird. . . .

It’s good to be home.

5 Comments:

At 4:15 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

I can't stop giggling. Teehee hee.

 
At 7:39 PM , Blogger Eric said...

You would think she would at least add a Nonny nonny to the random Hey.

Or maybe she was doing her catherine the great impression and was saying Hay

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I want to know what kind of Hey it was... the sly hey the loud hey ... well ill find out at lunch!!!!

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

It was a very monotone "hey". She sounded bored. Very strange indeed.

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

My husband just made me spit stuff.

Now I can't remember what I was going to say.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home