Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Out of Synch

Lip-synching.

Absolutely THE most insulting thing a singer can do to an audience. Period.

I'm amazed at how often it's done these days by pop artists in live performances. (Actually, it's NOT a "live" performance if the audience is subjected to a recording.) Britney Spears' recent disaster immediately comes to mind and she didn't even manage to lip-synch well.

I can certainly understand how challenging it must be to sing and dance at the same time. Or it Britney's case, to sing in your underpants. But lots of Broadway actors can do a decent job of singing+dancing every night, including additional matinees on weekends. Sometimes, even in their underpants.

Janis Joplin could certainly do it. But then again, she was fueled by gallons of Southern Comfort with heroin chasers. It helps.

I majored in music in college (piano major, voice minor). I've sung in front of lots of audiences. The one time I had to sing and dance at the same time was when I was a singing-and-dancing scarecrow in a production of The Wizard of Oz. (That number wasn't included in the film and it's really cute). It's tough to do and all I had to do was to prance around in circles and help catch the scarecrow at one point.

But I've never lip-synched anything. Sure, I've had some really embarrasing moments while performing. You bet, I've made some whopper mistakes. (Knocking over a piano bench before sitting down, dropping a microphone, moving my hand back and forth in front of my crotch while singing a solo without knowing it.)
But at least it was "live."

I would much rather see a Britney or Madonna performance where they sang and danced separately. Sing a number. Sing it LIVE. Then dance for a while. But if you're selling hit numbers, let us hear you sing your hits, especially if we've paid lots of bucks to hear you do it. If you make a mistake, big deal. At least it's honest.

And for god's sake, put on some clothes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

That about sums it up, dude.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home