Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Peek-a-boo Update

Yesterday, I wrote that my gym, Crunch Fitness, advertises "Peek-a-boo showers" as one of their amenities.

Click here if you don't believe me.

I was wondering, “what the heck is a peek-a-boo shower?”

Last night, I was out with The Gang at our favorite place, Lao Sze Schuan and mentioned the peek-a-boo shower thing. We were all intrigued. Miss Healthypants whipped out her cell phone and called Iwanski at home and he googled it.

He reported that it was a shower and something about being able to see the occupant.

I thought that was really odd for Crunch Fitness to feature such a thing as a selling point. It’s a downtown gym where downtown people go. I could certainly see something like this being popular at, say, Cheetah Gym in the Boystown section of Chicago. But at the Crunch in my building? Most of the occupants in my building seem to be elderly Jewish women. Hardly the type of demographic that would enjoy peek-a-boo anything.

So, this morning, I called Crunch Fitness and in a very mellifluous voice, explained that I had seen “peek-a-boo” showers on their website and my friends and I were all wondering what they were.

“Please hold,” he said.

Then a woman came on the phone and I repeated my inquiry. Are you ready for this?

There’s a hallway that leads to the locker rooms. At the end of the hallway, it splits, boys on one side, girls on the other. Along the walls of the hallway are the peek-a-boo showers behind glass. Two for the boys, two for the girls. Whenever anyone is taking a shower in there, anyone in the hallway can see the silhouette of the person taking the shower.

Isn’t that weird? And it’s advertised as an amenity.

It seems like that is a feature that could open them up to a lawsuit. Some guy could be doing naughty things behind the glass for all to see. Senator Larry Craig could have gotten arrested for tapping his foot in there. You never know.

What kind of people use these things? I certainly wouldn’t want to use the peek-a-boo shower. Well, if I did, I’d do shadow-things with my hands. I can do a butterfly and a dog.

I think it would be hilarious to stage a Psycho stabbing scene in the peek-a-boo and watch the reactions.

Comedic potential is always the way to go.

PS: I took Citymouse's advice and googled it. (She's so smart) Here is a pic of another Crunch facility that features peek-a-boo showers visible from the lobby. Here's what they say:

The lobby backdrop features Crunch's signature element, the peek-a-boo shower. A portion of locker room shower stalls are located behind a double-frosted glass wall providing silhouetted views of willing club patrons.

I wonder what the Crunch salespeople would do if some huge, obese people occupied all the peek-a-boos that are visible from the lobby. I could just see that happening during a big membership drive. It would serve those smarmy salespeople right.

I still think someone should do the Psycho shower scene.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:09 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

I'm going to go there and use the peekaboo shower. Once I'm naked in the shower, I'm going to start eating a sandwich and a bag of chips and drinking a soda.

 
At 4:23 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Excellent idea Iwanki!

Another good idea would be to have a pizza delivered in the peek-a-boo.

 
At 12:01 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

See, there, that's the idea. If someone is going to come up with something so completely ridiculous, then the only solution for it is to milk it for all the comedic potential there is. The Psycho scene. The sandwich, chips and soda scenario. For sure pizza delivery and those hand shadow puppet things. Plus, you could pose yourself like classic statues (the Venus de Milo might be nice). Do stuff like the moves to "YMCA" and the Electric Slide and the Funky Chicken.

'K, I'm coming back to Chicago and I'm getting a membership to Crunch just so I can play, too.

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Who wants to join me in a peekaboo shower ?????

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Mouse has the right idea. Crunch needs to see some reality going on in the peekaboo

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger Etienne said...

Actually those showers are not that clear. That is just for advertising and photographic purposes. It's just a faint silouhette really. And psychologically, if you workout often, you cannot say that you don't have a little pride about the way you feel and look, and going into these showers might not be a perverted thing but just a spontaneous act of "I don't care, such a silly thing, I just want to shower and leave and I'm not that puritanical"

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first went to Crunch to inquire about a membership, they mentioned the Peek a boo's. BUT the showers were not looking out onto a hallway. They looked out onto the ENTIRE WORKOUT ROOM. Everyone working out on weights, treadmills, bikes, etc. can watch someone taking a shower. I thought the guy was kidding. In fact, I started looking around his office for cameras to see if I was on some hidden prank show. Then I was also told repeatedly how great the strip class was and how popular it was with all the guys. The workout room it took place in was all glass and there were treadmills and bikes surrounding the room. The salesman was telling me how all the guys in the gym would start working out on the bikes and treads when the strip class would be in session. This place seemed so preoccupied with naked people that I went back to my old faithful gym (which has more amenities and is cheaper in price). By the way, the head saleswoman at my old gym couldn't believe the peekaboo thing. She said "Isn't it crazy how desperate some places are to get members?"

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Good point. No wonder why all the Crunch facilities closed. They were too desperate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home