Monday, July 16, 2007

Al Fresco Dining

I suppose this topic should go under “Wednesday’s Whinings” but I haven’t done that in a while.

I really don’t like eating outside. If I’m with friends on a nice, pleasant evening and they want to sit outside, I’ll do it because I don’t want to be a stick in the mud, but I’d much prefer sitting indoors.

Quite a number of restaurants in Chicago offer outdoor seating during the summer months. I suppose it’s because winters here are so long and brutal that Chicagoans like to be outdoors whenever possible.

But if I’m paying for a nice dinner, I want a controlled environment in which to enjoy it. Eating outdoors in Chicago to me is, well, like being homeless. You’re surrounded by lots of noise, funny smells, exhaust fumes, cars blaring rap music, bugs and kamakaze pigeons.
Eating out on a city sidewalk?
Yep, homeless.

No, if I’m paying for a nice meal, I want the amenities that go with it: The air conditioning, the controlled sound system, carpeting, the well-chosen artwork on the walls and the absence of pedestrians. Isn’t that why we went out to eat in the first place, to get away from the public?

Also, I don’t want hundreds of pedestrians looking at my meal. My menu choices are a very personal matter to me. Whenever I walk by a sidewalk restaurant, I always look at the diners and what’s on their plates. I’m way too self-conscious to have the public gawking at me and my baby lamb chops.

If I'd been one of the twelve apostles and Jesus wanted to have the Last Supper outside, I would have told him, "Ummm, Jerusalem in April? With all the donkeys? I don't think so.
You guys go ahead."

4 Comments:

At 2:46 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Well, I suppose every perfect relationship needs at least one flaw just to keep it real. I ADORE eating outside. As soon as the weather turns we eat nearly every dinner outside. And I love eating outside at restaurants, too. I can't quite explain it but there's something about the sun and the sounds and everything that just make the wine taste crisper and lend a sense of ocassion to the experience.

Of course, most outside dining in Seattle also involves waterfront views. That makes a difference I suppose. (But I do love me the whole sidewalk cafe thing...makes me feel like I'm in Europe. Yep. That's it. That's why I love it).

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger Kyle said...

You kill me. Now look at my cat photos.

I've not seen any posts on your "Littler Brother" lately - aren't there outdoor sporting events in Chicago this time of year?

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

I like eating outdoors. In the park, crouched behind some bushes.

 
At 9:19 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Oh, that was YOU!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home