Monday, July 09, 2007

Science

Eric brought my attention to an online science quiz that 8th graders are supposed to be able to pass.
I made a B minus.
Take the quiz and see how you do. Some questions are easy and some have me cocking my head like a puppy hearing a squeak.

I was never very good at science courses in school, mainly because I found them boring and because you had to use algebra in chemistry and physics.
I couldn't use algebra.
No way.

Nowadays, I'm pretty interested in scientific thingies and often find myself watching my "geek channels" on TV quite a bit.
Also, the "Christianists" seem to be pretty horrified by the scientific method, so that's pretty entertaining for me as well.
When playing Trivia Pursuit, I try to head for the blue squares first (geography) and the green squares next (science).

Oh, and don't ever play Trivia Pursuit with Iwanski. The guy is brilliant. He quickly fills up his pie, heads for the middle and wins without anyone else having a chance to play. That's why Miss Healthypants and I had to make up hilarious new rules where one can get "de-pie'd, re-pie'd, double-pie'd", and being a "pie-whore". Being a pie-whore, of course, can cause you to be de-pie'd.

When I was in the 7th grade, my mom was my Life Science teacher (baby biology). Aside from the Horrible Fact that my mom was my teacher, she was actually a very good teacher. I remember that we had to memorize the formula for photosynthesis which is quite long. For the test, we had to sit alone at a desk in the hallway and write it down. The thing is, we were encouraged to cheat. If we got caught, we got a "zero" on the test.

She did this for two reasons: (1) Being encouraged to cheat on a test in the 7th grade was loads of fun. (2) It was a way for her to learn every possible means by which students can use to cheat.

In high school, I was a member of the Science Club.
The thing is, in my high school everyone was a member of the Science Club. The Science Club didn't actually do anything. It was just a way to get your picture in the yearbook on one more page. So everyone joined. Especially those who felt that getting your picture on as many yearbook pages as possible was the most important thing in the world.

Near my apartment is the Church of Christ, Scientist. (Christian Science Church) Iwanski says that whenever he sees that name, he envisions Jesus in a white lab coat.
That's funny.

7 Comments:

At 12:20 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I totally got a D on that quiz.

Jesus in a lab coat. That is funny.

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

Like you, if I had known that SCIENCE would one day be synonymouse with ENEMY OF THE STATE, I might have paid more attention in science class. 'Cause I'm a rebel like that.

By the way, after my dad retired from the U.S. Navy, he became a junior high science teacher. Tho' he's a Bushie all the way, the one political issue we can absolutely agree on is the utter stupidity of the 'Intelligent Design' crowd, who wants to ban Evolution from the class room, because apparently America didn't deal with this at the Scopes trial.

His take (which I love): "Hey, I believe in Intelligent Design, but it has no place in a science classroom, because ... it's not science,." You tell 'em, Dad.

 
At 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I got a B - who knew I was so scientifically adept?

Love the Jesus in a lab coat image - hey, why not?

 
At 4:01 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

L - I've seen what you can do in a kitchen and it can rival any scientist.

Eric, I'm totally in agreement with your dad on that one.

Nayb: We'll have to test each other on the periodic table when I'm there. "Tell me what Pb is or you have to take a swig of Chardonnay!"

 
At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed one. I can't believe I missed one. Actually, I can't believe I missed ONLY one!

Ever watch "are you smarter than a 5th grader?" I love that show. If I got up to over 100 grand I'd bail in a heartbeat. Pride goeth before the fall.

BTW, I'm in Michigan right now. Enjoying the not-as-hot-as-Texas weather.

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I got a 76% the first time. I totally knew I messed up on one answer as soon as I clicked it. When I did it again, I got a 96%. I really only liked chemistry because it was sort of like cooking - all the mixing and stuff in the labs. I loved it, and I never followed the "recipe" but my labs always came out perfect. Go figure.

My mom was a Christian Scientist for a short while, when she was 'searching'. I wonder if she envisioned Jesus in a white lab coat too.

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Bro, I always knew you were wayyyy smart!

Gina: I'm still a "closet" Christian Scientist. No lab coat though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home