Thursday, July 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom

Today is my mom's birthday. . . . Hi, wave . . .

Actually, quite a number of you got to actually speak to my mom last week during the 4th of July party. (I had mentioned that if I had been born a girl, my middle name would have been "Creama" because my last name is Wheat. Everyone thought I was kidding so we called my mom and handed around the phone for her to confirm that fact). So, Lorraine, The Child, The Spouse, Miss Healthypants, Iwanski, City Mouse and her family all got to say hello. My mom is an extrovert and loved every minute of it.

So, today is her Big Ta-Dahh Day. She's a fantastic, strong, fun-loving woman who raised me and my brother (along with my grandmother) since I was ten years old.

She's multi-talented as well. She's got almost fifty years of public school teaching under her belt and still works part time as a counselor in the school system. Her major field of study was physical education with a minor in biology but she's also been the speech & drama teacher, biology teacher, and sponsor of just about every school club you can think of.

Later, she obtained her licensure as a school counselor and has been in that role for abo
ut the past twenty years.

My mom loves to fish, so on top of it tall, she's been writing a weekly newspaper column for the past 26 years called "Oceans for Emotions" for a local paper in South Texas. It combines a fishing story along with a biblical scripture and a life-lesson at the end. I can't imagine writing a column for 26 years, but she's done it. Click here if you'd like to take a look.

Here's a pic of mom in a favorite vacation spot in the Texas Hill Country. She's also wearing her favorite hat. It has a fish on it. (Oh, Mom!)

So, raise a glass to a very talented and fun-loving woman.
Here's to you, Mom. . .
. . . Know that you are loved.


5 Comments:

At 10:22 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Happy Birthday, ma'm.

 
At 12:28 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Got my glass. It's lifted. Happy birthday, Mrs. Wheat!

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Happy Birthday

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

Happy birthday!!!!!

 
At 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday a little late!! We all enjoyed talking to you on July 3rd! *smiles*

I also just wanted to tell you that you raised a wonderful son--he just spent his Saturday afternoon helping me drop off a ton of items at Goodwill and helping me carry home and cut up a watermelon--what a guy!! :)

-Miss Healthypants :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home