Thursday, June 14, 2007

Service Ponies

At work, I manage a state-wide program of agencies that promotes the hiring of people with disabilities. Part of my job is to stay current of services for people with disabilities. It's really interesting, especially with what technology has to offer and how fast it changes.

In a couple of weeks, I'm giving a presentation on service animals. We're used to seeing service dogs assist people with disabilities but have you heard of service ponies?

Yes! Little-bitty service ponies. Apparently, if a horse in a herd goes blind, other horses will guide the blind horse and assist them. They just naturally do this. Isn't that sweet?

Service ponies have several benefits. First, they're great for people with allergies to dogs. They're really small at only 22 inches in height and weigh about fifty pounds. They have a greater field of vision than dogs, less expensive to train, and live a lot longer too.

And yes, you can house train them. When they need to go outside, they go to the door and neigh.

One of my co-workers uses a guide dog and he's agreed to be a "show and tell" for my presentation.

I'd love to find someone who uses a service pony, though, and have them visit during the presentation. Wouldn't that be great?


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:41 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

ok, i know about therapeutic riding, but i have never heard of a service pony-- thanks for sharing :)

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I want a (service) pony, I want a (service) pony!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home