Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wednesdays Whinings -- New Versions

Every time I go to iTunes to listen to music, up pops the notice:
"A new version of iTunes is available. Do you want to install it now?"

Every time!

"No! Don't ask me again!" is what I click on.

Well, it doesn't have the exclamation points, but I mash the mouse really hard when I click on that option.

Why is it that every time you go to use a program, they're always coming up with a new version? Just once I'd like to listen to my music without having to negotiate my way through their new little new version offers

Oh, I downloaded the new version once. And the very next time, boom, there's a new version.

Can't they get it right? Get they put out a good enough version that will be adequate for a while?

I know what's going on. It's these geek-toid software designers, having their little circle-jerk and once they come up with some new little enhancement, they're just so proud of themselves that they just can't wait to get it out there.

We don't need a new version every week, but the Giant Corporations make us think we do. It's evil capitalism and consumerism at its very worst.

Back when I was in the monastery, I think it was around 1995 or so, one of the elderly monks was having trouble getting his stuff to print. He asked for my help and I quickly saw the problem -- -- He was using Word 1.0 !! Version one-point-0!!

And I thought: Good for you!!!

4 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I hate upgrades. Just when you get used to things working a certain way...and I really hate it when you HAVE to have the upgrade or the old stuff won't work. Burns me up.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

I was one of the drones in the early 90's who clung to WordPerfect with a ferocity heretofore unseen by those in my office.

But eventually, I survived. I still miss the "Reveal Codes" option.

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Eric - Yeah, I miss WordPerfect as well. That baby would just hummm.

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Keir said...

Absolutely agree. I landed here looking for a way to stop this incessant nagware once and for all given that I constantly check the box not to be asked anymore. The callous indifference and arrogance is sickening.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home