Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I made a tomato!

Awhile back, I posted that I decided to try my hand at growing tomatoes on my balcony. I went to Home Depot (God, I hate that place) and purchased two big pots, super-nutritious potting soil, tomato plants and various herbs.
I planted the little tomato plants, watered them faithfully and waited.
Nothing.
They didn't even grow very much. I figured it was because it's been so cool outside and tomato plants prefer warmer weather. I don't know why, but they do.
Finally, they started growing just a little bit. Yay.
However, my balcony faces west and this is the Windy City after all. They were just getting the crap kicked out of them.
Then, some blooms appeared even though the plants were only about a foot tall.
Lo and behold, alas and alack, a baby tomato! A real, live baby tomato.
They say only God can make a tomato, but that's not true. Well, maybe just a little true, but according to Aristotelian philosophy, I was definitely the Effective Cause of this tomato.
It'll probably get blown off the balcony, strike a toddler in the eye, and I'll get sued.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:34 AM , Blogger Iwanski said...

But still.

Am I right?

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Hey, that's some impressive foliage on that 'mater plant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home