Monday, June 18, 2007

Heat

This morning, it was really warm outside on my way to work. Granted, it's only five blocks, but I still don't like it.

I don't like hot weather. Never have. Never will.

I've figured out a route to work that keeps me in the shade most of the way, and then I dart into an air-conditioned tunnel a couple of blocks from my building. I really don't like the act of sweating or the way it makes me feel, so God did a good thing when He created air-conditioned tunnels.

Strangely enough, the hottest I've ever been was an afternoon in Des Moines, Iowa of all places.
Go figure.

It was the Summer of 1990 and a buddy and I were on a roller-coaster vacation to see how many coasters we could ride in a two week period. (The result was 48 coasters and four tired, blistered feet).

Anyway, we were at Wonderland Park in Des Moines and it was 95 degrees outside. It was also about 95 percent humidity due to the fact that there's nothing in Iowa except corn. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, not a breeze anywhere and nothing in the park was air conditioned. Well, except for a bingo parlor filled with elderly, chain-smoking women.

It was horrible. I never want to go to Des Moines again.

The public school I attended in South Texas wasn't air conditioned. Can you believe that? I don't know how we survived it, but we did.

It's air conditioned nowadays. Those kids are gonna grow up to be wimps, let me tell you.

Speaking of my high school, I just received an invitation in the mail to attend my (gulp!) 30-year reunion.

I won't be going because it's being held outside.
In July.
In South Texas.

Get real!

2 Comments:

At 7:56 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm with you on the heat thing, especially when humidity is involved. God was also good to invent gin and tonics.

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Heat is my enemy.
Once the Taste if over, I am ready for Fall.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home