Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm a Texting Convert

For a long time, I have truly disdained this horrible activity called "texting".

Maybe I'm becoming an elitist old fuddy-duddy, but I think texting "ok kewl c u" will truly be the downfall of the written English language. Kids will foget how to speak except for using the word, "like" at least five times in every sentence. Humans will evolve into beings that have little more than two giant thumbs, all because of endless texting.

I hate it when I receive a text that says, "where u at". I want to call the person back and say, "I am at a place where one does not end a sentence with a preposition!"

See? Old fuddy-duddy.

I didn't think I'd ever see any value in texting - - -

- - - until now.

A friend of mine and I often talk on the phone and in our "old age" we've often found ourselves saying, "Oh, there was something I wanted to tell you, but now I can't remember what it was." This has been happening quite a lot and there appears to be no sign of it abating.

She suggested that when we think of something we want to say later on, we text a word or two to each other so that we'll remember later on what we wanted to talk about.

It's worked like a charm. Here are some of the words I've texted:

Sandalwood

Whorl

Sheraton

Dorthese

Gerbil

Later, conversations have ensued in the most efficient manner. I've fully embraced this technique.

Yes, I've always hated texting because I'm of an older generation. The ironic thing is, I've found a use for texting precisely because I'm getting old and forgetful.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:51 PM , Blogger Bob said...

Well, then, it's official.
I am the last non-texting person in the world!

 
At 1:47 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I love this...too funny! :)

I SO need to get on a texting plan now.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

It's all downhill from now on, you know.

Dear Husband and I text a lot, and DramaQueen is now proficient. She and her friends keep up quite a conversation. Can't imagine what the teen years will be like.

 
At 8:56 PM , Blogger Mom said...

I am trying to imagine a story that would include all those words.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home