Saturday, February 17, 2007

Favorite Art

I'm a musician at heart. I've been a pianist and have studied music since the age of nine but that's not to say that other forms of art don't make me weep as well.

Hmm. Monet and Renoir? Nope. Just a little too blatant. Earlier stuff? Hmmm.

One work that made me cry, that absolutely stunned me was:

Munch: "Madonna"
Not his painting, but his lithograph that I saw exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in New York in 1997. Not the usual one, but the one with the fetus and the sperm.

To me, this is the epitome of Mary the mother of God.


The skeletal fetus in the corner accentuates the existence of humanity in the image of God, but in a horrific sense. The spermatozoa that frame the entire work conceptualize in blatant detail the humanity of the Creator.

Again, I see the Madonna, not in ecstasy, but rather terrorized and hopeless, knowing that she will bear the crucified god.

It's an incredibly powerful work, so I'll display both pieces here. Needless to say, the first is my favorite.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

I don't know that I've ever seen anything by Munch other than "The Scream," which now I associate with George W. Bush every time I see it because of those damn bumper stickers.

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

We are in quite the arty mood these days, aren't we? Thanks for sharing that...I'd never seen it before either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home