Friday, January 29, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I’m back in the saddle again.

Well, actually it’s an organ bench.

It’s been about ten years since my feet have touched organ pedals, but I’ve agreed to be a substitute organist at the church where I’m singing – a pinch-hitter in the organist dugout if you will.

The music director has provided me with access to the organ so that I can get my “organ-feet” back. Actually, I’m pretty excited about having access to this beast of an organ during the evenings. It’s quite a step up from the Hammond electric organ that I played as a teenager in my little bitty home town church.

I just ordered a new pair of organ shoes. They’re sort of like slippers but with a tall heel (1.5 inch heel). I ordered the widest ones they have. Hopefully, I can wedge my platypus-feet into them.

I downloaded the music to a really cool Bach fugue to learn. It’s such a happy-sounding thing and will certainly get my pedaling back in shape. Here’s a video of a kid playing the piece. If he can play it, so can I.






I plan to use it as a postlude at the end of the service. How could you ever leave a church unhappy after hearing this thing? A friend of mine said it sounds like a soundtrack for Snoopy while ice skating.

My grandmother was a very talented organist and was my first piano teacher. I’ll always think of her whenever I play this organ and how much she would have loved it.

3 Comments:

At 10:05 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I know it is silly, but I want both of my kids to learn to play... I figure what a great way for a little extra cash while going to school!

 
At 1:21 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dooder, I hope you enjoy playing the organ in your high-heeled shoes! *smiles*

 
At 1:23 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

OK, I just looked at Google images of organ shoes, and they're not THAT high-heeled--I had a totally different picture in my head! *hee hee*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home