Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Quest for Rabbits

Recently, Miss Healthypants and Iwanski discovered that their Cadbury bunny chirps along in perfect sync with the theme song to Hee Haw.

I know!

I was just as amazed.

You can view it here.



So, MHP and I began to think of ways we could make this video even more outrageous. We decided to create a dance to go along with it -- a Country & Western version of the bunny-hop or something.

But then, I thought, “Why stop there?” How about if we do the dance while eating fried rabbit?

I know!

So I began searching for fresh rabbit. I recall seeing it at Whole Foods Market (No doubt, they were organic, free-range, vegan bunnies raised on farms powered exclusively by wind turbines.) so I called WFM to make sure they still had fresh rabbit.

No, they don’t. It turned out that the rabbitular quality of their purveyor had gone downhill and they weren’t selling it until they found another one that met their high standards. Maybe their rabbit farm began using regular electricity or something.

Undeterred, I began searching for a fresh rabbit supplier. I found one here at the Chicago Fresh Poultry House but there was a catch.

They sell only fresh poultry and rabbit. Really fresh poultry and rabbit:

A one-stop shop for Santeria practitioners and chefs alike, this spot buzzes with live roosters, chickens and rabbits. You can have your choice prey killed, skinned and wrapped up on the spot, ensuring the freshest meat around.

Oh my gosh!

In other words, you go in and say, “I’d like two pounds of rabbit please,” and they reach into a cage of cute, furry Easter-type bunnies, grab one by the ears, and take it in the back, kicking all the way, where you hear the sickening thud! of a meat cleaver.

I wanted fresh rabbit. Not a Santerian sacrifice.

But then, where did I think the nice, fresh rabbit at Whole Foods came from anyway? At some point, it too was an Easter-type bunny, struggling away until the meat cleaver had done its work.

I think there would be a lot more vegetarians around if we all had to pick out an actual, live animal to be hacked to pieces anytime we wanted a bucket of hot wings.

I'll just stick to the Cadbury chocolate bunnies, thank you.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:53 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

I often thing the same, except that my forefathers were perfectly happy to take the old rooster out back and wring its neck without blinking an eye. Maybe roosters just aren't that cute.

Now, I bet if you hung around that Chicago Fresh Poultry House, you'd meet some colorful people.

 
At 1:31 AM , Blogger Fleeter said...

I think you need to stick to Elevator Horror flick videos and give up on the Bunny Hee Haw Opera. Really.

 
At 1:51 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

The word "rabbitular" is awesome. I'm just sayin'. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home