Monday, November 02, 2009

NaBloPoMo

What is NaBloPoMo?

Why, it’s National Blog Posting Month. November has been designated the month in which you are supposed to write a blog entry every day on topics that interest you.

Sounds good to me.

Today’s topic: Brussels sprouts.

Yes, they interest me. I’m that easy.

I really love Brussels sprouts. A lot. These cruciferous little boogers are good for you too. For those of you who don’t like them, try this:

Steam them whole for about five minutes. Meanwhile, sauté some bacon, crumble in some chestnuts to the baconey juices (okay, it’s bacon grease) tumble in the steamed Brussels sprouts, add a splosh of marsala and a teaspoon of sugar. Thank you, Nigella Lawson.

Last night, I made some autumnal roasted veggies that are so good they will just make you fall on the floor and holler:

Peel and cube a butternut squash (I know I’ve lost some of you right there), cut Brussels sprouts in half, dice an onion into chunks, tumble them in a bowl with some powdered chicken bullion, a sprinkling of sugar and a few glurps of olive oil. Tump it all on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast them at 400 until charred. About 30-40 minutes.

You can’t stop eating it, especially if you put some butter on it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:51 PM , Anonymous Bro said...

Yum. Think I'll go to lunch now.

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger Random Thinker said...

Ick.... not going to like them even with bacon grease.

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Yep, you lost me at peeling and cubing...how did you know? *grin* But those recipes do sound good.

Hell, anything made with bacon grease has GOT to be good. :)

 
At 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are the best...wow. Glad that you enjoy them also. NICE.

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Those veggies sound wonderful and just for the record ` I love brussel sprouts! Just a little butter and maybe some parm cheese sprinkled over them.

 
At 11:01 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

The trouble with sprouts is there is a split second in the cooking process where you must stop cooking or they turn into vile, bitter mush. Which is what most of the sprouts in my experience have done. I do have a recipe similar to the Nigella one you posted, however, that works every time and I can eat a whole plateful. Plus, they are, without question, the cutest of all the veg.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home