Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Winter is Coming


Here’s a photo of the farmer’s market in its final hour as it is closing down for the winter months. It’s been here every Tuesday in the plaza of my workplace since May and I really enjoy its bounty every week. I said goodbye today to the happy vendors that I’ve come to know over the last few months.

When it opens during the chilly month of May, spring onions, leeks, snap peas, and tart little strawberries herald the end of winter. As the warm summer months take over, a huge abundance of fresh corn, tomatoes and juicy red peppers are there to enjoy.

Today, as the temperature was in the high 40s, I stopped by as they were putting everything away for the last time. Winter is right around the corner and with that, I bought two pounds of Brussels sprouts, some acorn squash, and a few apples that had managed to straggle in just before the cider house ruled.

And that’s just as it should be.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I still haven't tried acorn squash--can you believe it? :)

Anyway, I'm sad winter's coming...but I can't exactly stop it now, can I?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home