Thursday, September 11, 2008

The AIDS Marathon

Quite often, when I’m on the subway I’ll notice the advertisements that line the inside of the passenger compartments. Some can be entertaining to read, others not so much.

Lately, there has been an advertisement for an AIDS Marathon, invoking riders to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This year, it’s being held in Hawaii.

When I saw that, I thought, “An AIDS marathon. They still do that?”

I noticed the photo on the advertisement, showing a young woman running in ecstasy across the beautiful Hawaiian landscape.
I was bored on the train, so my mind got to playing a scenario about this photo.

I pictured a couple of guys, monitoring the marathon. They’re up on a mountain top where they can see most of the route and they’re looking through binoculars.

Here’s their dialogue:

“Okay, I finally see a runner.”

“Where? I don’t see anything.”

“Down there. Just coming around the bend.”

“There’s only one?”

“Ummmm. Yeah. I don’t see any others.”

“I’m surprised anyone actually entered this thing. An AIDS marathon is so Last Century.”

“You got that right. But this chick seems to be having a good time.”

“What’s she doing?”

“Just running and smiling really big. Every once and a while she throws her arms up in the air.”

“Doesn’t she know she’s the only runner?”

“I guess not. She’s really into this thing.”

[sips the last of his Starbuck’s mochaccino through a straw]

“You see any other runners?”

“Nope. Just the one.”

“What’s she doing now?”

“Still smiling and throwing her arms up in the air.”

“Let’s call it a day. I'm sure she'll be okay."

“Sounds good to me.”


________________________________

Yeah, I know that’s tacky, but that’s how my mind works when I’m bored.

4 Comments:

At 7:06 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I LOVE how your mind works. :)

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Breenlantern said...

brilliant. i laughed out loud the first time i read it. then the second. then the third when trying to read it to my hubby. thanks for the belly shake.

 
At 10:28 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Whew! I'm glad someone else thought it was funny!

 
At 11:13 PM , Blogger Barb said...

I have to tell you my husband (I, Robot) cracked up when he read this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home