Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Phobias

Here's an article about folks who have really strange phobias. There's a woman who's afraid of cotton balls, another is afraid of buttons, and one is even afraid of chocolate.

Hmmm. I'm continually amazed at how our little human minds work.

I have an aunt who's afraid of feathers. She has been all her life. One time when I was a kid, my parakeet flew out of its cage and she just lost it. Absolutely freaked out.

I'll admit that I have a phobia about Bigfoot. My cousin claims to have encountered one on our family ranch when he was about thirteen years old. Ever since then, any documentary about Bigfoot just gives me the willies.

One time, a friend of mine wanted us to go skiing in Montana rather than Colorado. I really, really didn't want to go skiing in Montana because that's where a lot of Bigfoot sightings have taken place. He thought I was joking and I sort of made like I was.
But I sort of really was not.

One of my earliest memories was when I was three years old. My parents took me to my little Sunday school class called Sunbeams. If any of you were raised Southern Baptist, you're probably familiar with Sunbeams. It's Sunday school for little-bitty kids.

Anyway, there were wires hanging from a light fixture in the ceiling and I just FREAKED. I can still see those wires coming from that hole in the ceiling. I don't know why that frightened me so much but it did. Maybe I was actually afraid of becoming a Southern Baptist.

It didn't cause any phobia though. I can install track lighting, no problem. It's what My People do.
Other than Bigfoot, I can't think of anything that really freaks me out.

Right now, the Iwanskis are on vacation in Arkansas. (I'm baby-sitting their cats) I know there have been Bigfoot sightings down there and I've warned Iwanski not to go hiking in the woods.

Miss Healthypants just called. They went hiking in the woods.

I'm glad they're okay.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:13 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

What about not eating with your hands? That's way weirder than being afraid of Bigfoot...which makes perfectly logical sense.

 
At 9:56 AM , Blogger Barb said...

Growing up in Miami I was fascinated with the Bermuda Triangle since one of the corners was right in our backyard.. read everything I could on it and even knew of someone (a friend of a friend) who got lost in it and never returned. Still wonder what happened in there. You never really hear about it anymore.

 
At 12:58 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Nope, no bigfoots. But lots of squirrels--are you scared of them, too? *hee hee*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home