Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Getting the Giggles

Today, I had the last of a series of dental appointments. I would have had the appointment last week, but my dentist was on vacation with his family.

I financed it.

Well, he’s back now so I was in the chair, Novocained up to the gills with all sorts of dental gizmos crowded in my mouth.

And I thought of something funny and got the giggles.

I’ve gotten the giggles in lots of inappropriate places. Once was during evening prayers (Vespers) at the monastery. They would just NOT go away. The abbot was glaring at me and I had to leave.

I get the giggles in my sleep. I’ll wake myself up laughing or I’ve been told that I laugh in my sleep.

I often have to stifle the giggles in business meetings. I get bored so I have to entertain myself with silly thoughts. Giggles ensue.

But I’ve never gotten the giggles while at the dentist.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

I rinsed, spat, and told him I’d just thought of something funny.

I guess that’s better than lots of other things he’s probably encountered with his patients.

4 Comments:

At 2:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who told you that you laugh in your sleep?

There's a story there...

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Barb said...

I got the giggles once in the gyno's office during a "procedure" but in all fairness he had given me laughing gas. I was still embarrassed though

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

JP: There are lots of stories there.

Barb: That is hilarious! MUCH funnier than the dentists office.

 
At 1:00 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

How about getting the giggles just before surgery? That one threw me for a loop...never thought I'd be laughing in there...I guess the drugs helped! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home