Monday, June 09, 2008

It's That Time of Year

On Saturday, I received a high school graduation invitation in the mail. I was a little incredulous over receiving it because:

I’ve seen this kid only twice in the past eighteen years.

I received it on the day of the graduation.

My name was spelled incorrectly.

And what’s the big deal with graduating from high school anyway? It’s not like these kids have actually done anything noteworthy. Our taxes pay for public school education. It’s pretty much announcing, “Hey. Send money to me for not dropping out or getting kicked out of school.”

If any money is given, I think it should go to the parents.

College is a different matter. College costs, even at state schools, have soared in the past decade. My niece worked hard through college, got good grades, raised money to go on missionary trips during her summers and graduated with a teaching degree. I happily gave her a nice graduation present and she didn't even impose an "invitation" on me.

But when I receive a high school graduation invitation on the day of graduation from someone I’ve seen twice in my life, that’s not an invitation.

That’s an invoice.

4 Comments:

At 1:09 PM , Blogger Speck said...

Bah. I hear ya brother and know the feeling. Dear Abby says the appropriate response in this case is a greeting card with a short, handwritten note of congratulations and best wishes for the future. No coin or folding money required.

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Good old Abby. I wish I'd thought of that but I don't have the return address as invitation has already gone down the trash chute.

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

"That's an invoice".

Classic Buck.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That is SO classic Buck! :)

This really made me laugh because I have like 50 nieces and nephews (ok, so I'm exaggerating a little--but only a little!), and they're all going to graduate from high school! That really sucks for my wallet. We already received two high school graduation invoices this year. So I got out the checkbook...

But I agree. If any money is given, it should really go to the parents.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home