Thursday, June 05, 2008

Sex and the City -- The Movie

(I am not giving away any part of the movie in this post, so read on)

I’m tired.

The gala outing with Miss Healthypants and The Girls to see the Sex and the City movie kept me up past my bedtime on a school night. Which is usually about 10 pm.

I have to admit that it was really exciting to see that movie last night. Even though the big downtown Cineplex had showings every 45 minutes, all of them were sold out. It was a good thing MHP bought tickets on line ahead of time.

We got in line early which enabled us to sit together in really good seats. There was definitely a buzz in the air – you could tell everyone was really excited to see the characters from SATC after all these years.

And it was. It really, really was.

Now, one thing I was not prepared for was the nudity and the “strong language” in this movie. You see, I’ve never had HBO and didn’t start watching the series until the edited versions were broadcast on TBS. Frankly, it was a little shocking to see Miranda all topless and (gasp!) actually having sex. In the City.

The movie was great. Really great. There were a lot more comedic scenes in the movie compared to the series which really made it entertaining. There were, of course, lots of very touching moments as well. I only cried once, but Miss Healthypants was just a big ol’ puddle of goo through the whole thing.

To me, the most memorable part of the movie was when Carrie got a new cell phone number and it was a 343 area code rather than the 917 area code she’d had for years. (Both area codes are for Manhattan)

I have sort of an obsession with area codes. When I worked as a telephone operator in college, I had them all memorized.

Boise? 208.
Milwaukee? 414
Santa Fe? 505

The middle digits of all original area codes were always binary; either a 1 or a zero. Now that we’ve entered the digital age and have so many cell phones, faxes, pagers and the like, all phone numbers became ten-digit ones. Now we have these “bastard” phone numbers that begin with 773 or 343.

You can tell if someone lives in the middle of a city and has an original phone number if the area code has a middle digit of one or zero.

When I got my cell phone, the guy asked me if I wanted a 312 or 773 area code.

Are you KIDDING me? Of course I wanted a 312 area code. Three-one-two just “says” Chicago.

I remember when I lived in a suburb of Dallas and our area code changed at midnight from 214 to 972. I stayed awake until midnight, making calls before and after to experience the area code change.

Does anyone else have an obsession with area codes?

So yes, the most memorable scene from the Sex and the City movie was when Carrie had to give up her 917 area code.

That’s the part where I cried.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5:54 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I was born in 503. I live in 206. I always get excited when I see 312 on the caller ID because it means it's you!

 
At 6:04 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Awww. You're gonna make me cry!

(makes fanning motion in front of eyes)

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Yep, I was TOTALLY a big ol’ puddle of goo! Even when I was laughing so hard, I was crying! *grin*

I'm glad you dragged me to this movie--I had a wonderful time! :)

 
At 12:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

402 most of my life. No matter where you live in Nebraska, you get the 402.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home