Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Avoiding the Trash Chute

Okay, so I have my nifty new piano all set up and working. I love it. I just purr when I play it.

Here’s a dilemma: What do I do with my old piano? It still works beautifully.

Normally, I just toss anything I don’t need down the trash chute. (We don’t have recycling available downtown and I really hate that).

Tossing large items down a 49-story trash chute is lots of fun, but I don’t think this piano would fit. It weighs about 150 pounds.

I thought about putting a notice up on the bulletin board in the laundry room to sell it. People are always selling things in my building.

But that would be a hassle. A more disagreeable endeavor I cannot think of than having strangers come up to my apartment to haggle over a price.

Then, I remembered a resale store here in Chicago called The Brown Elephant. The proceeds from their store goes to benefit an organization that serves those with HIV and AIDS. Better yet, they have a nifty service where they will come and pick up whatever you’ve got to give them.

They’re coming next weekend.

I know that donating to an organization that serves those with AIDS is awfully “retro”, but hey, it’s better than the trash chute.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon!

Congrats! What a lovely piano! I hope I get to hear you play all those sound effects sometime!

Karen

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

MUCH better than the trash chute! I'm proud of you--you're getting better at this recycling stuff! *smiles*

 
At 4:26 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I think that's a lovely solution.

And you're all about the retro these days anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home