Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Feelin' Groovy

At the gym where I’ve been faithfully working out, (periodically) there’s always rather loud music playing over the sound system. I don’t mind it so much, for it’s usually a good mix of anything that’s energetic sounding. Disco, techno-pop, lots of Madonna, lots of rap; they all get played.

The thing is, even though I’m a musician myself, I very rarely listen to music. I’ve got a small sound system in my apartment and probably not over 30 CDs which seldom, if ever, get played. I don’t listen to the radio in the car except for NPR.

So, the music that Crunch Fitness plays over their sound system is the only pop music I’ve been exposed to since. . . . hmmm. . . . well, Culture Club, really.

Yes, my name is Buck and I’m a snob, especially when it comes to music.

So, I didn’t think I’d ever find anything remotely appealing while being exposed to anything at Crunch, but I was surprised recently.

I was doing a solid thirty minutes of jogging on the treadmill the other night when this song came on. (The corresponding video plays on the screen on the treadmill which is pretty cool). I thought, “Hey, that song’s pretty neat.”

Then, last night I was on the treadmill when it came on again. This time, I really liked it. When I returned to my apartment, I downloaded it onto my iPod.

I’m not making this up when I way that the last pop music I ever bought was Culture Club’s Colour By Numbers album. So, it was pretty remarkable that I found myself to be pretty jazzed over a new pop group.

I feel so “with it.”

The song, you ask?

It’s Somebody Told Me by The Killers. The lead singer sounds a lot like a young Ozzy Osbourne.
Click here for the video.

Like I said, I feel pretty hip and all, downloading a song that was produced after 1983. I feel pretty cool blogging about it, too.

Am I hip, or what?

Oh, god.

I just had a horrible thought. . . . Please please please don’t let this song be something that only 13 year-old girls like. That would be just my luck.

Whatever. I don’t care.

I think Somebody Told Me is pretty darn groovy.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Killers and I'm not 13. :-) Read My Mind from Sam's Town CD is my favorite.

You must feel really good after all these weeks/months of going to Crunch.

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

The Killers are awesome. "When You Were Young" on Sam's Town is my favorite.

 
At 8:25 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I really hope that 13 year-old girls like it--'cause then I could tease you about it! LOL! :)

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine: If you think that The Killers are awesome, then I know I'm really cool.

MHP: You can't tease me on this one. Lorraine thinks The Killers are awesome.

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I can make fun of you AND Lorraine, then! *hee hee*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home