Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Springfield-Bound

I have to drive to Springfield in the morning for a two-and-a-half day conference. Right now, it's 8:30 the night before.

So, what am I doing right now?

What else? I'm doing laundry so that I'll have clean underpants to wear.
And recharging the cell phone.
And the laptop.
And the iPod.
All the necessary toys are charging up all around me.

During this conference, the eight employees that I supervise around the state will be there. We'll be having a staff meeting on the first day and I hope it goes well. I don't think they hate me so I'm not expecting an ambush or anything. But you never know. Frankly, I'll just be glad if the pastries I ordered show up.

I was looking at the workshops that will be held and I instantly recognized one of them. It's a personality profile thing where you answer all these questions and then the results tell you what "color" you are.
Here's an example of how the four personality types work. Let's say, you purchase a bicycle which comes in a jillion pieces in a box.

The "red" person is task-oriented. She will pay the bicycle shop the extra money to assemble it and then wait impatiently for it.

The "yellow" person is the people-person. She'll invite several friends over and have a "bicycle-assembly party."

The "green" person will read the instructions, count the parts, lay them out in categories and methodically assemble it.

The "blue" person will leave it in the box for a few days and finally end up creatively assembling it but not necessarily following the instructions. The brakes might not work, but that's okay.

Now then, here's the thing. The colors that are diagonal from each other really have a hard time getting along with one another. For example, a blue person would drive a red person crazy. Same with a yellow and green person.

Conversely, the colors next to each other might get along okay and people usually have a blend of those colors.

I am pretty much a blue person (well, quite a bit, actually). However, I can be green, less seldom, yellow. Being red is pretty difficult for me. A red-yellow person would cause me to require sedatives, preferably a Thorazine drip.

Need some more illustrations? Okay.

Let's take the characters from Sex and the City.
(Now! We're talking. . . )

Samantha is red.
Charlotte is yellow.
Miranda is green.
Carrie is blue.

I hope I can hook up with Miranda while I'm at the conference. She and I will be the ones making fun of the Charlottes and avoiding the Samanthas.

So? What's your color?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure about my color, but I'm always the Miranda.

 
At 12:14 AM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

I'm Carrie, with a liberal dash of Miranda and sometimes a dollop of Charlotte. And I can't wait for the movie. Sigh, I miss hanging out with the girls...

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I am between a red and a yellow. orange!!!!
I just did ANOTHER test and I am
ENFP --a champion idealist and it is scary accurate

 
At 11:52 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Based on your breakdown, I'd have to say I'm a yellow. So I guess you and JP are making fun of me right now.

 
At 2:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Right smack dab in the middle...every time. I even had one facilitaor accuse me of somehow cheeting or not taking the test properly. Nope. I am every color, which ever one happens to be appropriate (I hope).

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'd say I'm Carrie to a point, but when I finally do take it out of the box, I'm probably yellow-green. I much prefer doing chore-y things with someone (someone other than The Spouse, who is a total Green), but if I can't arrange that, I will at least read the directions, and methodically assemble it, but I will NOT count parts and lay them out in categories. No way. Then again, if I can afford it, I will totally go Samantha, and pay to have it done. Like Bro, a bit of each color, depending on which best fits the bill at the time.

 
At 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Lorraine. Yes we are.

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

JP: Sshh. Don't let Lorraine see us.

Kimberly Ann: I can't wait for the movie either. We'll have to blog about it the INSTANT we see it.

Mouse: OOoo. I could have figured you were an ENFP right off the bat. (and that's a good thing) I'm an INFJ

Bro: Both you and Mom are right in the middle. Really.

Gina: We need more people like you in the world.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home