Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Why I Love Riding the "EL"

When I was a kid, I loved anything to do with trains. I was even a little obsessed with trains. I was even more-than-a-little obsessed particularly with switch tracks; you know, where two tracks meet, cross, or switch off from each other.

I was amazed at how they were constructed, at how they’re complex configurations could guide those huge steel wheels to go in particular directions, and at the varieties that these tangled lines of rails could take.

I still am.
Very much.

That’s why, whenever I ride the EL here in Chicago, I like to sit in the very front car so I can watch the train maneuver through these complex structures. It’s especially fun in “The Loop” where five different lines intermingle and depart across the city.

Here is a pic from the southeast side of The Loop.
And here’s my favorite section. The green, pink, purple, brown and orange lines all converge and cross at the northwest corner of The Loop. Whenever I ride through this intersection, I imagine myself riding along with my seven-year-old self. And I have to tell you, it’s really wonderful to see a little kid get that thrilled and excited.
I highly advise spending some time like this with your seven-year-old selves. It's something one should do as often as possible.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:39 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I love the El.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, that is just awesome! I love trains - well, passenger trains. There is something about them.... that shot of the track in The Loop is just awesome. Do you know that my first time ever on a train was during our trip to the UK last year? Isn't that just sad? (I don't count my one ride on BART as a train ride.)

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Wonderful idea. Wish I could remember what my 7 year old self liked to do. Oh yeah, pretend I could control the weather and run around the yard calling down the winds.

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine: The EL said told me it misses you. A lot.

Gina: I would LOVE to ride the BART sometime. Under the bay would be awesome.

K.A: Isn't being 7 just the best thing ever?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home