Monday, October 22, 2007

Buttermilk Pie

In my recent post on foods that we grew up with, my brother posted a comment reminding me about the buttermilk pies that were a staple in our household.

How could I have forgotten about the buttermilk pies that my mom and grandmother used to make? They are, hands down, the epitome of Southern cooking.

One time, my brother arrived home from school (I think he was about 13 years old) and read the note that my mom had left: “There is buttermilk pie on the counter.”

He ate the whole pie.

I guess he was thinking that since she’d left the note for him, then the buttermilk pie was for him. Thirteen year-old logic.

Now, you might be thinking “ewwww, I don’t like buttermilk!”

Well, calm down, because a buttermilk pie doesn’t taste anything like buttermilk. Hell, a thirteen year-old will eat a whole one in one sitting. It’s that good. (By the way, I love buttermilk)

Here’s the recipe. Very simple. Very good.

2 cups sugar
1 stick melted butter
4 tablespoons flour
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

In large bowl cream together sugar, butter and flour. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

So good, it’ll just make you fall on the floor and holler.

Thanks for the reminder, Bro.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:42 PM , Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

Mmmmmm...now that looks good.

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Hmmmm, I happen to have some buttermilk in the fridge...

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine: Go whip up this pie. Now. Shoo. Get going!

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl said...

I am so going to bake one of these this weekend.

 
At 8:22 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Coffee Girl: One bite and you'll be saying "yall" right away. Let me know how it turns out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home