Friday, August 10, 2007

Everything's Just Ducky

I encountered yet another duck today. On my way to work, there was a person in a big duck suit who was soliciting support for the Windy City Rubber Ducky Derby.
A person in a big duck suit -- I had to get a photo!
The Windy City Rubber Ducky Derby is a fundraiser for the Illinois Special Olympics where one can purchase a rubber ducky for $5.00 each. Everyone's rubber duckies get tossed off the Columbus Avenue bridge into the Chicago River and race down the river toward the finish line. There are thousands of them. The first to cross the finish line wins a new car for the person (or the agency) who bought that duck.
Doesn't that sound like fun?
I immediately sponsored a Rubber Ducky (wouldn't you??) and the race is going on right now. "Splashdown" was at noon today.
Oh, and you can also buy "Quack-Packs" of six ducks for $25.00.

But isn't it odd that this is the second "huge big duck entity" that I've encountered and have been photographed with this week? Just a few days ago, it was the Aflac Duck.
There's obviously some kind of auspicious "huge big duck-thing" going on with me right now.
For the life of me, I've tried to figure it out, but I can't.
Take a look at the pics, and let me know. . . .


P.S: I looked online to see that a company whose employees had contributed over 1,700 "Rubber Duckies" did win the first prize of a new luxury sports car. I'm sure all the proceeds will be properly remitted toward the Illinois Special Olympics.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

'K, and I just made reference today to having to line up a few more ducks for my new business venture. I think they are in Chicago.

And that fundraising idea is sheer frakking genius. I heart it. Next year you have to tell me when it is and I'll send you money so you can buy a Quack Pac for me.

 
At 4:59 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine -- "Ducks-in-row?"
Daren't I say "merganser?"
Daren't I say more?

And don't you love the contraction, "daren't"?

 
At 10:29 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

awwww.. and i missed it! I wanted to see them go down the river

 
At 4:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking it would've been cheaper for that company to just buy the damn car.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home