Thursday, July 19, 2007

Horrible Nasty Offensive Dogs

I passed by the Vietnam memorial on the way to work this morning and noticed this sign. Am I missing something here? Apparently, Vietnam veterans find dogs horribly offensive and don't want them sullying their memory.
I can see why it might be inappropriate for a dog to lift his leg on the memorial, but that can easily be averted with a little forethought. Geez!
Apparently, the possibility of dogs disrespecting the memory of Vietnam vets is so serious that it requires 24-hour surveillance.
Wow!
Our taxes, hard at work.
Who are these people that surveille this place? I can just see one of those surveillance guys now, out on a first date:
His date: "So, what do you do for a living?"
Guy: "Oh, I make sure that dogs don't go near the Vietnam memorial. I used to be in charge of the Calvin Coolidge memorial, but I got promoted last year."
If I were a veteran, I assure you I would want Portia and her essence around my memorial. Anyone who's met Portia can back me up on that.

5 Comments:

At 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... apparently dogs are the ONLY thing being monitored. Terrorists, vandals, etc are completely allowed.

And I suppose this means that blind people will be unable to go near the monument, not that they'd have been able to see anything if they did.

 
At 9:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got your back on this one. portia's cool. especially that happy waggy doggy tail.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger John said...

When I went to Washington DC, I was real disapointed to find that the Statue of Liberty had been removed for cleanin' that week. Oh well, maybe next time...

Huggs, etc...

 
At 1:05 AM , Blogger Lorraine said...

This is me...with Stacy...backing you up on the Portia thing.

 
At 8:49 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

jp: according to the ADA, a blind person could sue if they weren't allowed to take their service dog. They could sue big time.

Stacy & Lorraine: I'll convey your happy regards to Miss P. wag-wag-wag

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home