Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Wednesday Whinings -- T. J. Holmes


Okay, I'm continuing with my little series called "Wednesday's Whinings" where I get to gritch about something that bugs me.

T. J. Holmes is the news anchor for CNN and is usually on during the early mornings.

Now, although Mr. Holmes is awfully easy-on-the-eyes, he has an irritating habit of pronouncing "Iraq" and "Iran" as "o-raq" and "o-ran".

And that drives me insane.

I'm sitting there shrieking at the TV: "It's EE-RAQ you idiot!"

Some people give it a lazy pronunciation like "uh-raq" and "uh-ran", but not dear T. J.
He goes all the way:

"Today, in southern oh-raq, coalition forces . . . "

After a while, it bugged me so much that I got on the internets and actually sent CNN an email about it.
Really!
I did.

So, take a look an an early morning broadcast of CNN and note Mr. Holmes' pronunciations.

And if he IS pronouncing it correctly, it's because of ME.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:18 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

Yes, these issues can be real irritants, can't they?

I did love the period in the early 90's when all journalists felt as tho' they had to use heavy Spanish accents whenever naming people or towns with Latino names. And by "love," I of course mean "hate."

 
At 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I'll correct that in tomorrow's newscast.

T.J. Holmes

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home