Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend Jaunt

I'm back from my weekend jaunt to Austin, Texas.

That was really fun, just to take off like that after work on Friday. My flight left Midway airport at 7:30 pm on Friday and I got back at 10:00 pm on Sunday, so I didn't even have to request any time off from work.

Tex-Mex food: My-goodness-gracious, those Texans have a mighty tasty cuisine all their own! I've yet to find any place in Chicago that can come close to it.

For example, one meal at Matt's El Rancho in Austin consisted of enchiladas filled with smoked chicken. And this wasn't subtley smoked chicken, no-siree. This was chicken with lots of carcinogens, let me tell you.

There were about five or six different sauces that the enchiladas could be topped with and the server said his favorite was either the chipotle sauce or the tomatillo sauce. Tough choice to make.

"Could you put a different one on each enchilada?" I asked.

No problem. Yay!

So tasty, it makes you wanna fall on the floor and just holler.

The flight was un-eventful. I had a fantastic book to read on the plane, The DaVinci Code. I hadn't read it yet so I saved it to have something tasty to read for this trip.

Holy Mother of God, that's a good book! I was about three-quarters of the way through it on the trip back and the flight attendant saw me reading it. She commented what a page-turner it was and I heartily agreed. I didn't want to put it down.

"Will you kindly ask the pilot to circle the airport until I'm finished?" said I.

It was a crowded, turbulent flight and I was in the back with a bazillion little kids squawking the whole way, but I didn't care. Having a good book to read on a long plane flight is just about the best thing ever.

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM , Blogger Red Seven said...

Texas scares me. Austin sounds okay, because there's a big college there. I go to San Antonio a lot for work, and that's okay, too -- even tho' the Alamo is a little disappointing, now that an entire city has just grown up around it.

But Dallas and Houston frighten me. Cognitively, I understand that the Texans who voted for George W. Bush are the same Texans that voted for Ann Richards (who I adored) ... but ah'm still skeered of 'em.

(sigh)

 
At 8:02 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Yeah, Eric, there are definitely lots of pick-up trucks with gun racks in Texas.

 
At 11:32 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

Yeah, ok, the whole great book thing...still need drugs. Glad you had a good time and dude, swear to God, Tex-Mex is one of my favorite cuisines evah.

 
At 1:02 AM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Okay Lorraine - - I suggest a Dramamine with a Valium chaser. Works wonders.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home