Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Women in my Life. Part 3: Simone Weil


Simone Weil (1909-1943) Philosopher
Astounding woman!

When I was in the monastery, I was having trouble concentrating on my graduate studies. My spiritual director, sweet, dear man, pulled out an essay by Simone Weil titled: Reflections on the Right Use of School Studies with a View to the Love of Prayer.

I was hooked. Have been ever since.
She has the most insightful answers to life's questions.

Talk about a strange cookie, Simone Weil certainly is one. Maybe that's why I like her so much.

She died of self-starvation at the age of 34 while exiled in England. She had recently been diagnosed with tuberculosis but refused to eat more than her French compatriots were being rationed during the occupation.

Whenever I ponder life's ultimate question (Why do bad things happen to good people?), I think Simone Weil comes up with the most satisfying and unique insights to these questions.

Really.

"The beauty in Christianity lies in the fact that it does not seek a supernatural remedy for suffering, but a supernatural use of it." Simone Weil.

Check her out on Wikipedia. It says it all better than I can.

I think this ends my little excursion regarding the Women in My Life. Hits to this site have dropped off quite a bit and my self-esteem just can't handle that. If things don't pick up, I'm going to be forced to talk about Britney Spears panties. Again.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

A) The hits haven't dropped off because of your interesting women...everyone is down. It's just a winter slump. Shake it off.

2) You sure didn't pick these women for their outrageous physical beauty.

3) I've heard of Weil but never read any of her stuff. Best give that a stab, eh?

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about your hits dropping off - just wanted to tell you I've enjoyed your foray into the lives of interesting women. Had never heard of Weil but thanks to your introduction I'm inspired to find out more about her -

XO, the neighbor

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about your hits dropping off - just wanted to tell you I've enjoyed your foray into the lives of interesting women. Had never heard of Weil but thanks to your introduction I'm inspired to find out more about her -

XO, the neighbor

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Lorraine - I never thought of it, but yes, the women I admire certainly were not beauties. Hmmmm. I guess that's not what I respond to. :)

The Neighbor - I'm glad you liked my little forays. Thanks! Have fun with Weil.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home