Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A New "Little"

Some of you may recall that I’ve been a volunteer with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. In the program, I’m referred to as a “Big” and the little brother is called a “Little.”
Cute.

My last “Little” had quite a few behavior/psychiatric issues and without going into details, the match had to be ended.

Well, I have a new “Little” now. The Littles range in age from seven to fourteen years old. The new Little is only seven, so he’s a Little-Bitty Little. I’ll be going to meet him and his mom tomorrow along with the social worker from the organization.

Apparently, the Little-Bitty Little likes rap music, so a re-direction process will be the first item on our agenda. Perhaps season tickets to the Lyric Opera of Chicago might be in order. I see that La Traviata and La Boheme are next in the season, so he’ll be off to a good start.

I’m kidding of course. Even I don’t like opera that much, but I’ll be damned if I’ll be buying him tickets to see that Ice-Tray guy.

I’m glad the weather is getting cooler. He likes outdoor activities and this Big does not “do” outdoors if it’s above 80 degrees. So, he’s come along at a good time. The outdoor ice skating rink opens in two months and I should imagine he might like that.

Since he’s a Little-Bitty Little, he might be too young for the roller coasters at Six Flags, but I’ll be sure to ask him. If he’s up for it, we will SO be there before the season ends.

I hope he likes me.

4 Comments:

At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep him away from Iwanski. He likes rap. Nothing good can come from that.

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

I'm sure he's going to like you. What's not to like? Good luck with this one!

And what JP said.

 
At 11:01 PM , Blogger Citymouse said...

I had no idea you were doing this!!! If you need any suggestions let me know, I have a list a mile long of things I would do with my kids if we lived in the city-- old town school of folk music being first on my list!!!!
Also, if you want to arrange a weekend for me to bring the family in town, let me know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home