Sunday, January 21, 2007

More Public Transit Antics

A couple of years ago, I was transferring from a CTA bus to the subway. I was walking down the aisle of the bus, but there was a man tending to his little kid in a stroller and he was blocking most of the aisle. I brushed past him in order to get off the bus. I didn't bump him, I brushed him.

As I did so, I heard him exclaim in a loud voice, "Scuse me!!" I didn't acknowledge him since I've learned that ignoring angry people is usually the best plan of action on public transit.

As I was walking to the street corner to cross, I heard him behind me, "Hey bud! Don't you have any manners? Hey!"

I was now in a crowd waiting to cross the street and into the subway station. I still ignored him, but he didn't give it up. "Hey bud! You bumped into me!"

I was thinking to myself that so far, I've not acknowledged him at all. I could just pretend to be hearing-impaired.

Just as I was thinking that, he was jabbing me on my shoulder. I wheeled around with a startled, perplexed look on my face and signed to him in frantic hand motions that I was deaf.

He just stood there kind of dumbfounded, knowing that he couldn't say anything more to me.

I scampered into the subway, silently congratulating myself for some quick thinking.

What a jerk.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 AM , Blogger Red Seven said...

He does sound like a jerk. This morning, I got the finger from a guy who wanted to park in the space next to me but couldn't get his huge honkin' SUV into the normal-sized space between me and another car. Both cars were inside the lines, but not squeezed over to one side enough for him to safely turn into the space.

So ... he flipped me the bird, and I smiled and waved frantically as though he were my long lost friend recently discovered after assumed dead during a long absence. And he was not amused.

Jerk.

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Lorraine said...

OK, you think way too fast. Brilliant.

 
At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hee hee hee hee*

Love,

MHP :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home