Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Julia Blog

I am toying with the idea of creating a separate blog just for my Julia Child forays. I fully realize that that’s been done already by that Julie person who got her blog published and made into a movie – a blogger’s dream, really. Congrats to her.

IF I did do a Julia blog, mine would be different.

First of all, I’m a boy, so there’s that.

Next, I’m not cute and perky like Amy Adams.

My Julia blog wouldn’t be peppered with references to a spouse, a cat or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I want none of those things in my apartment.

If I screw up a recipe, (which I have), I’ll simply figure out what I did wrong, acknowledge that Julia Child is, indeed, a supreme deity, and fix it.

Case in point. Coq au Vin with mistakes and shortcuts:

Coq au Vin, second attempt, after following Julia’s Inerrant Word:

If I do create a Julia blog, I seriously doubt that I’ll prepare any recipes with liver, kidneys or brains. I’ve tried liver, kidneys and brains and I don’t like them. They make me gag and I doubt even Julia could make them appealing enough for me to enjoy.

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to make a tomato aspic that contained scallions, peas and celery. To me, it was like eating a giant, cold, blood clot. With peas. So, the aspic section will probably be skipped as well.

I’m pretty adept at boning chickens and turkeys, so I doubt that the boning of a duck will intimidate me as was portrayed in the Julie movie.

Sure, I would hope that lots of readers would enjoy my Julia blog, as I really would try to make it as entertaining as possible. A book and a movie deal would be nice, too. Jeff Daniels can play me. (See? Not cute and perky.)

I may have mentioned this before, but back in my thirties, I was a real live monk in a real live monastery. Although monastic life was extremely monotonous, there’s a part of me that misses it; I was surrounded by beauty and holiness and something bigger than myself.

Holiness, beauty, something supernatural:
Julia’s work could bring all that back.

What have I got to lose?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Jeff Daniels could TOTALLY play you. :)

 
At 2:27 AM , Blogger William V. Madison said...

What IS it about Goliad aspic? My grandmother used to make it, too -- and it nearly wrecked my parents' marriage, my dad loathed it so, as did Linc and I, so she stopped serving it. Since then, I've seldom had the opportunity to sample any. For all I know, it's one of those things like asparagus that my adult palate has come to revere.

Personally, I can think of no compelling reason why Amy Adams shouldn't play you. Don't limit your box-office potential, man! Think outside the box!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home