Saturday, April 03, 2010

An Easter Reflection

Earlier this week, a co-worker of mine arrived at work and delivered some horrible news. She had heard on the morning news that there had been a major fire at our beloved restaurant, Lao Sze Chuan. My heart sank.

Of all the thousands of restaurants in Chicago, why did it have to be our favorite one?

I quickly sent out an email blast to my hoards of friends (six of them) who also love Lao. Soon, the reports came trickling in. The news didn’t look good. The fire had started in the kitchen at 5:30 that morning and even damaged the restaurant next door.

A couple of days ago, Jack and Steve and Karen went to eat at one of the sister restaurants, Lao Beijing. I’ve eaten there before and, while it’s also outstanding, it’s not our Lao Sze Chuan.

Jack told me that there was an elderly Chinese woman at the entrance of the boarded up Lao, directing everyone to Lao Beijing. It was as if she was an angel, keeping watch over the tomb until the rock was rolled away.

It turned out that Lao Sze Chuan’s menu is so loved by everyone, that Lao Beijing will be serving everything on it until the Resurrection occurs. Hopefully, it won’t be too long.

Tonight at church, we will observe the Easter Vigil which is a HUGE deal in the Catholic/Episcopalian church. After the forty days of Lent, after the altar being stripped on Thursday night, after the bleakness of Good Friday, we will light all the candles, the organ will peal once again, people will be confirmed and baptized and we’ll sing portions of Handel’s Messiah. The priest will get to consecrate bread and wine again and not just serve the “leftover Jesus” as they do on Good Friday. We’ll be gagging from the copious amounts of incense being used.

Do I believe that Christ really rose from the dead after three days? Frankly, I don’t know. (If I get to heaven, I’ll be sure to ask.)

For me, the fact that Christ-God suffered and died like the rest of us -- well, for me, that’s enough. The story could have ended right there and that would have gotten me hooked.

(Then again, Handel would never have written the Messiah and it’s a pretty thrilling thing to perform.)

Soon, Lao Sze Chuan will be open again. I also take comfort in that.

A risen Christ? I don‘t know. But I do know that the food at Lao Sze Chuan is here, it is incredible, it makes us exceedingly happy.
It is supernatural.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

LOL! This made me laugh, dude. :) I can't wait until Lao opens again, too...that will be quite the resurrection day!! *smiles*

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Great piece of writing.

 
At 11:36 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Thanks, guys!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home