Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Discrimination

As a single person, I live a pretty carefree existence compared to other folks who are coupled or have families. However, there is continual example when I definitely feel discriminated against. And that’s whenever I’m walking in public.

Here’s a perfect example: I’m walking along a narrowish city sidewalk and along comes a couple toward me; husband and wife, flaming heterosexuals, side by side -- and they don’t allow any room for me to pass. Does it occur to them that, perhaps, they could walk in single file for two whole seconds so that I wouldn’t have to drop off the sidewalk and walk in the gutter filled with fetid water?

Noooo!

The other day, I was about to trot down a narrow set of steps outside my apartment building. Along came a middle-aged couple about to ascend the steps. They didn’t make any attempt to let me descend even though the steps were wide enough for two people. The man even announced “Scuse us!” as I was about to descend. I had to wait to let them pass.

Have these people absolutely no capacity to be without each other by their side? Is there some coupling pathology of which I’m unaware?

So, what should I do?

Should I be horribly rude and shoulder-knock everyone who refuses to give way? (Not something I would relish.) Should I stop, stand my ground and make them pass around me? (Better, but I’d be stopping an awful lot, believe me.)

Have you ever seen how people quickly clear out of the way when encountering a blind person using a white cane? It's as if sighted people are terrified of white canes.

Hmmm. . . .

Seeing that I’m clearly being discriminated against and clearly disadvantaged as a person-with-singularity, I think the use of a white cane with which to clear my path is definitely justified. (I can get one here.)

I like that.

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM , Blogger QuotidianEditorialist said...

amazon.com really does have everything! My next question is this: Will it work on my car????

 
At 6:11 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

LOL! Oh, Dooder--you better not!!

Besides, I think it would be funny to watch you shoulder-knock everyone who refuses to give way. *hee hee*

P.S. This annoys me, too. When I'm walking with John (or anyone, for that matter), I'm always paranoid about letting people behind me pass. I feel bad if they are stuck behind us because we're not walking fast.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Iwanski said...

I think it might be something that long-term residents don't do, but others do. I've noticed it's not just couples. It also happens when two or three corporate guys walk together. I think long-term suburbanites and small town folk are just used to more room, and honestly, they don't usually have a lot of experience with the whole "walking" thing. They drive anytime they going more than 20 feet from their house.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home