Thursday, October 01, 2009

Morning Scene - 35 West Wacker Drive


Also known as the Leo Burnett Building, this 46 story, 635 foot tall structure is a prime example of the “Chicago Style” of architecture. Constructed in 1989 with a dark granite façade, the windows contain stainless steel bars that provide a lightened appearance to the darker structure -- typical of many skyscrapers in Chicago’s downtown area.

Also noteworthy are the four open structures at the twelfth story level.

For the life of me, I cannot find out what they are for or what purpose they serve. They aren't observation decks, for I've never seen anyone in them. I’ve heard tour boat narrators call attention to them, but haven’t been able to hear what they are saying.

Every day when I walk by this building, I wonder about those darn things. One of these days, I'll walk in and ask the security personnel.

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Those decks serve one purpose- to fire dangerous snow missles onto Dearborn Street all winter long, making our street like a war zone.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home