Friday, September 18, 2009

Scrabblers Anonymous

Oh boy, have I got an addiction now.

A couple of years ago, dear sweet Lorraine turned me on to Speed Scrabble. Hours were spent with us playing Speed Scrabble. Then on my business trips, I’d play Speed Scrabble with myself alone in the hotel rooms. (That sounded weird.)

Now, I’ve discovered online Scrabble through Facebook and I can’t get enough of it. Currently, I’ve got games going on with Lorraine, Miss Healthypants, Sfoofie (who is Miss Healthypant’s niece) my college friend, Martha, and five anonymous players who are kicking my butt.

These anonymous players must be Scrabble uber-champions or something. They’ll play words like “asphixy” and “exequy” that criss-cross other words in intricate patterns while I, on the other hand, play the word “ah”.

But I do love Scrabble.

It combines your creative knowledge of language along with strategic planning and spatial concepts. What’s not to like?

I just ordered a Scrabble game where one can play against a computer at various levels. I tried a trial version of it and even on the beginning level, it pretty much trounced me.

I wish my gym had Scrabble built in to the treadmills so I could play while working out. Unfortunately, the gym plays nothing but loud rap music and has the overhead TVs tuned to The Explosion Channel for our entertainment.

If anyone needs to be working out, it would be Scrabble geeks.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:22 PM , Blogger f8hasit said...

I went through a online scrabble phase a few years ago. It IS very addicting!

I found a 12 step program to help me with that.
:-)

 
At 5:29 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

Given that I love literature and writing, you'd think I would enjoy Scrabble, but I don't particularly. Perhaps it's the strategic aspect - I don't do strategy at all, which is why I will never learn chess unless someone holds a gun to my head.

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

The Explosion Channel!--LOL! :)

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger Peter said...

Buck! You can also play Speed Scrabble Online. Hurrah!

Plus, there's a Faceboook support group if you need to discuss your addiction ;)

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Thanks, Peter! I just joined. Can't wait to play.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home