Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Morning Scene - Homeless in Chicago

As I was walking to work this morning crossing the State Street bridge, I noticed this homeless woman down on the River Walk below. She appeared to be passed out on a bench, but then seemed to be partially conscious as she raised her head and passed out again.

I took a photo of her with a zoom lens, thinking it would make a powerful photo for my “Morning Scene” series. After all, it's a good dose of reality.

Then I got to thinking how dangerous it is for a young woman to be in that situation. Should I call 9-1-1? Would I call 9-1-1 if it had been a man? (No, we see that all the time.)

I did call 9-1-1, saying that she appeared to be in distress, gave the location and they said they would send an ambulance.

I got to work, downloaded the photo and was shocked to see the photo - - there were little bare feet under the blanket. I wanted to cry when I saw that.

See? It’s always better to err on the side of caution.
I hope this woman and her little one get the help they need.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 11:10 AM , Blogger f8hasit said...

That IS a sad photograph...

That's one that a story could be written around. Hopefully, it will have a happy ending.

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger Bad Alice said...

I want to cry, too.

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dooder, I'm still amazed at this, too--and grateful that "a voice" inside of you told you to call 9-1-1. Thank God you did.

And thanks for sharing this.

 
At 9:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my. That is a very sad photo indeed. Good for you for calling 911. I hope she gets the help she needs.

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger Iwanski said...

Um, I don't know how to say this, but I think this is a woman being, um, pleasured by someone.

 
At 9:10 PM , Blogger Br. Jonathan said...

Iwanski - - I think you're right. They're probably in jail now because of my 911 call!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home