Friday, June 19, 2009

I Ate a Pony Shoe

I just love it when you come across a food item that is indigenous to a particular area. That’s what happened when I was having lunch with some staff members in a small town near Effingham.

On the menu was a “Horse Shoe” and I was pretty intrigued. My co-workers, both of whom lived in the area, said that it was a common item on menus in Central Illinois.

Apparently, the Horseshoe sandwich originated in Springfield in 1928 and is pretty much located only in the surrounding areas. It is an open-faced sandwich that consists of thick-cut toast, topped with a hamburger patty or ham, topped with fries and all that is topped with cheese sauce.

It gets its name because it was originally served with ham that resembled the shape of a horseshoe.

I wasn’t that hungry, but fortunately, there’s a smaller version called a Pony Shoe. Isn’t that cute?

There was no way I could leave Central Illinois without sampling a Pony Shoe. No way.

So, I had a Pony Shoe and a salad for lunch.

After all . . .

. . . When in Effingham, do as the Effinghaminians.

You have a Pony Shoe for lunch

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have seen them before, except instead of Horseshoe it was called "Heart Attack on Plate"

 
At 12:36 AM , Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

But I wonder if the Effinghaminians insist on having their pony shoes with f'ing ham in them! :)

Sorry, bad joke. :)

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger MaryRuth said...

You're a brave man, Mr. Buck. Looks a little like poutine.
haha good joke MHP! I liked it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home